Let’s make some music! Music is a wonderful way for kids to express emotion, release energy, calm themselves – and so much more. Playing with beats and rhythms provides a fun, early introduction to patterns, division, and fractions. Plucking and strumming introduces the scientific concepts of vibration and amplification. Making music also enhances self-esteem, promotes discipline and practice, develops fine motor skills, and boosts short-term and long-term memory.
Sign you up, right? You just need one thing—an instrument. If you don’t have a piano or violin lying around, don’t worry! Follow the instructions below and we’ll show you how to make your own instruments with just a handful of rubber bands and objects from around the house.
What are we waiting for? Let’s rock!
For our kid Makers who are reading this, make sure to ask a parent to help you with these projects – and if you enjoy this one, be sure to try the rest of our DIY Creativity Camp activities.
Rubber Band Rock
- Rubber bands – a mix of different kinds (lengths, widths)
- Shoe boxes, Tupperware, paper cups, and other receptacles to amplify/resonate sound
- Choose your first “resonator” (box, cup, container)
- Stretch your rubber band(s) over your resonator.
- Give each rubber band a pluck. Listen for different notes. Stretch them tighter (or use thinner rubber bands) for higher pitch notes. Leave them looser (or use thicker rubber bands) for lower pitch notes.
- Start strummin’! Try different configurations of plucking to make different tunes.
There! You’re not just a music maker – now you’re part of the Maker Movement! And Makers share what they’ve made and how they’ve made it so others can give it a go. Please be sure to share YOUR wonderful creations by posting photos on our Facebook page. We also encourage you to build upon these projects and make them your own – change the materials, try a different construction, add something new – and share again!
Brain Building Benefits:
- Encourages creativity and imagination
- Introduces early math and science concepts
- Enhances fine motor skills